Dog and Cat Travel PassportHealth certificates for pets are required for domestic travel within the United States as well as for international travel. We're happy to help you with your pet's health certificate. However, as with visas, we will need several weeks to process the paperwork.

Different countries have different travel criteria. We can determine exactly what you'll need and what requirements must be met to ensure a happy, seamless trip for you and your pet. Feel free to call us at (413) 663-5365 with any questions or to book an appointment for a domestic or international health certificate.

When you schedule your appointment, please let us know if you're planning to travel domestically or internationally, so we can ensure you see the right veterinarian for your needs. 

Travel Planning Tips

  • Start planning at least two months ahead of time for domestic travel or four months for international travel to make sure you are familiar with all necessary requirements.

  • If traveling by car, make sure you carry copies of your pet's vaccine history, including their most current rabies certificate. You should also bring a health certificate from your veterinarian that includes information about your pet's most recent wellness exam.

  • If traveling by plane, research the airline you plan to use. Some airlines have their own requirements while others defer to the destination state or country. Important questions to ask include:

    • What are the airline's policies regarding pet travel?
    • Which airplanes in their fleet have cargo space available for larger pets? This will affect the flights you can book.
    • Which airlines allow smaller pets in the cabin area?
    • What type of pet carrier do they recommend?
    • What are their procedures for dropping off and picking up your pet? Different airlines have different loading and unloading policies. 
    • Do they offer a nonstop flight to your destination? How do they handle layovers between flights when pets are on board?

* Only USDA-approved veterinarians are allowed to issue international health certificates: Dr. JoAnne Ziemba and Dr. Heather Blake are approved to issue certificates for international travel.

Additional Reading